Do you want to add to the tools in your toolbox when it comes to working with couples in conflict? How can you get the couple to return to a civil conversation when they are highly stressed? Polyvagal Theory has deepened the clinician’s understanding of how the nervous system reacts under stress. Come learn productive somatic tools for lowering stress and shifting moods, so that your couples can reconnect for productive problem solving. Copies of Communication Breakthrough, How Using Brain Science and Listening to Your Body Can Transform Your Relationships (2018) will be available. Pre-registration for this event is required.
- 9:00 - 9:20 Chapter Meeting
- 9:20 - 9:30 Introduction, Course Goals and Objectives
- 9:30 - 10:15 Polyvagal Theory, Demonstration, 3 zones
- 10:15 - 10:25 Break
- 10:25 - 10:45
- Up and down regulate tools
- Love as Resource (experiential)
- Breathe/ground (experiential)
- Arousal chart handout
- 10:45 - 11:00 Book giveaway, Questions & Answers
- Learn to recognize moods from the vantage point of polyvagal theory.
- Gain an understanding of the clinical uses of polyvagal theory with couples.
- Promote somatic tools to shift moods for better communication.
- Practice down and up regulation tools to return to the green zone (social engagement system).
- Utilize arousal chart handouts to assess clients moods.
- Participate in "love as a resource" exercise to build awareness of body tensions.
- Experience Bioenergetic grounding and breathing exercises.
About the Speaker: Vincentia S. Schroeter, PhD, MFT, CBT
Vincentia Schroeter has practiced psychotherapy since 1975. Beginning in the addictions field, her training has taken her into proficiency in Bioenergetics, Self-Psychology, Affect Regulation and the clinical uses of Polyvagal Theory. She did doctoral research on infant and mother bonding and has worked with couples, families, individuals and groups. Vin is on the international faculty of the IIBA (International Institute for Bioenergetic Analysis) presenting at conferences in Europe, Canada and South America. She has led trainings in Spain and Hong Kong and published two books, Bend Into Shape, Techniques for Bioenergetic Therapists (2011) and Communication Breakthrough, How Using Brain Science and Listening to Body Cues Can Transform Your Relationships (2018). Her blog on communication and life observations can be found at vincentiaschroeterphd.com/blog
TARGET AUDIENCE: Licensed and Pre-licensed clinicians and educators.
This course meets the qualifications for 1.5 hours of continuing education credit for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEPs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences. SDNC-CAMFT CEP#128622
SDNC-CAMFT is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEPs. CEP#128622. SDNC-CAMFT maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
Additional Meeting Information